Re: Summer Joy question

In a message dated 3/27/01 6:57:21 PM Central Standard Time,
njhosta@hotmail.com writes:

<<
 Hi Everyone,
         I have a question about a plant. Maybe some discussion about it is a
good idea. A few years ago a new plant was introduced with the name 'Summer
Joy'. When it was registered it was claimed to be a sport of 'Blue Splendor'
with a white center. There is a picture of the plant with the registration
which shows a hosta that seems to fit the description. The plant I bought was
a 'Great Expectations', of this I have no doubt. A trip to the HostaLibrary
shows three pictures----- The first may not be 'Great Expectations', the
second was later confirmed to be, and the third is clearly GE. There is one
for sale at the HostaLibrary Auction site that the seller describes as just
like picture #3, >>

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the concern.
The plant, H. 'Summer Joy', I have and am offering on the Hosta Library
auction came directly (I picked it up there myself) from the Klehm Nursery
located in S. Barrington, IL, where the registered plant originally came
from. Roy Klehm also gave the Dubuque Arboretum a H. 'Summer Joy' 2 years
ago, sent from his late location in Champaign, IL. They look the same. You/we
can have questions as to its correctness but I have to believe the
originator. Klehm Nursery will have to be the one to correct the
problem, if there, is in a fact, a problem. :-)

Thank you,
Jim Schwarz  (zone 4)

web site: http://<A HREF="www.Jimshostas.com">www.JimsHostas.com</A>

Jim's Hostas
11676 Robin Hood Dr.
Dubuque, IA  52001-9506
319-588-9671

 One of the Volunteers at the <A HREF="dbq.com/arboretum/">Dubuque Arboretum
and Botanical Gardens</A>