RE: Movin on and on

Ah stretching into the warmth of the sun, you shine, you do.

dt

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com
[mailto:owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com]On Behalf Of Jim Hawes
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 8:10 AM
To: hosta-open@mallorn.com; hawesj@atlantic.net
Subject: Movin on and on

I like the way Traveler 20000 writes and talks...with his heart and
soul.

And the way Joe analyzes and raises valid questions such as how many
layers exist in a hosta meristem?

And the way Bill asks good questions whch we may know the answers to if
we remember a bit of what we just went through in our study and
discussion on the origin of sports.

This is pure synergism in action, family folks. I love it.

Joe raised the question of LI, LII and LIII because the answers may
help  us understand with more accuracy what we are discussing and what
is happening. There has been no definite statement by any scientists
that we  have discussed,  re the answer to how many layers exist. My
belief based upon logic tells me there are three. But I could be wrong.
It will be easy to find out...we just ask someone who has connections
with a plant anatomy lab in some Botany Department in some University to
search the meristem under a microscope and tell us what he finds out. If
someone can't volunteer for this job, I will try with my connections of
five  decades ago at the University of Maryland.

As for Bill's question re are there more than one kind of yellow as we
seem to observe? My opinion, based on logic and remembering what we have
learned from Vaughn in review of Choroplastid Mutants in Hostas...there
are at least two kinds of genetic control. over synthesis of
chlorophyll, according to Vaughn. He describes the plastid control type
of inheritance in which the control is in the plastids themselves
according to Tilney-Bassett as expressed in yellow hostas that are
similar to siebildii such as Wogon, Kabitan and other yellows ,
especially those with yellow centers ( which consist of LII tissue) .
The exception to this rule of plastid inheritance, according to Vaughn,
is the example of August Moon and similar types in which YY is lethal,
Yy is yellow and yy is green. This type of nuclear control determines
synthesis of chlorophyll, or the presence or absence of chloroplasts
with thylakoids in stacks like stacked saucers inside membranes within
the plastid.. If there are no or few chloroplasts, there may be enough
carotinoid plastids ( remeber, those with morphological changes such as
dilations which are spread out throughout the plastid, rather than being
stacked up in piles like saucers inside membranes). My common sense
tells me that there are only one kind of carotinoid plastid. That the
color differences we see  are dependent upon the population of these
yellow plastids. (This is borne out by my experience as a young research
graduate  working with peach pigmentation using ether and other
extractants to determine quantities of carotin in  peach tissue by
spectrophotometer measurements...same techniqes for chlorophyll
determinations also.)

So back to Bill's question...are there two yellows? I believe not. One
yellow but in different quantities. But there may be differing control
mechanisms as we have learned in our discussion.
1. nuclear control for YY, Yy and yy gene characteristics
2. plastid control as in sieboldii type yellow color
3 or both types of control, perhaps operating together.

This is something we can research with some simple breeding tests. I
pass this  thought  on to Joe for his comments and considerations.

Synergism in action...I love it, family.

Jim H.