Re: Mary's Q's

Mary Chastain wrote:

> Sports Addicts,
> I have a question for consideration.  In my plant room yesterday I
> discovered a plant that came from a green pod parent and a green pollen
> parent.  The first seven leaves on the plant are all green.  The eighth leaf
> on this plant came out with two large streaks of creamy yellow.  Now if this
> plant develops into a variegated one, is it to be called a sport?  At what
> stage of development do we claim sport?
> I might add that this is the third plant from this cross that has developed
> the creamy yellow markings.  The first one showed the color at the stage of
> three leaves.
> Mary
> Mary Chastain
> Lakeside Acres
> 8119 Roy Lane
> Ooltewah, TN 37363
> phone 423-238-4534
> http://Gardensights.com/Lakeside

Mary, I would call it a sport within a seedling altho it might tecnically be a
seedling showing incomplete sorting-out of proplastids within the egg. Buds in
the axils of the green leaves will probably produce green plants next year. and
buds in the axils of the variegated leaves of the seedling will be similar to
the leaves as they appear this year. Therefore you have some control over what
you get from this plant next year . You can select the individual buds and
produce shoots you may wish to preserve as a new sport. It became a new sport
when you  noticed different kinds of variegation on some of the leaves. If you
save them or not is up to you. If you don't save them, who knows what will
develop next year?...most likely .the dominant buds will win out in the natural
battle of apical dominance and the sport tissue will disappear from view.