Re:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mary Chastain" <mc_hosta@Bellsouth.net>
To: "Hostas" <hostas@hootowlhollow.com>; "Open Hosta"
<hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 9:23 AM
*************************
Mary
This is not a sport.  It is simply a seedling that is demonstrating the
variables it has in it's genes.  Later., if for instance. it continues  a
general tendancy to make some leaves that are multi colored, you may get a
"side shoot" that ishas a definate ( or more definate ) color arrangemant.
That would be a "sport".
**************************

> Sports Addicts,
> I have a question for consideration.  In my plant room yesterday I
> discovered a plant that came from a green pod parent and a green pollen
> parent.  The first seven leaves on the plant are all green.  The eighth
leaf
> on this plant came out with two large streaks of creamy yellow.
As we know, the pollen parent does not contribute to any streakiness.  That
is only the "job" of the pod parent.  I believe thare is such a thing as
"spontainous" streakness in a seedling, but I suspect in most cases, there
is some (unseen) instability in the green parent.
Thanks
Ran
  Now if this