Re: Mary's Q's

In addition to the comments I made earlier, I ought to indicate that I
have written my views on this subject  four years ago in the Fall
edition of the Journal Vol 28.2..." Variegated Hosta Seedlings Settling
Down." I had come to the conclusions that Vaughn had also made  more
than 20 years ago.... that most variegation in hostas was due to mutant
chloroplasts. These views were strengthened by reading Kirk and
Tilney-Bassett,  who were the authorities on plastids. This was even
before Marcotrigiano wrote his Patterns of Deceit which in my opinion
has clinched the dispute...that indeed almost all variegation in hostas
is maternally inherited because of the plastid controlling influences on
vareigation. I see that my views of 1997 are in harmony with
Marcotrigiano's of 1997 when he published "Patterns of Deceit. I did not
read "Patterns"  until about two years ago at which time I shared it
with Joe, Bill , Jim Anderson and others.

The article I wrote in 1997 was  intended to describe the probable
reasons for hosta seedlings with several types of variegated leaves. I
tried to explain probable causes for these varying leaves. I realize a
leaf is not a shoot but a change in color ( caused by a chloroplast
mutant) must start in one cell of a meristem, then grow into tissue ,
which then begins to differentiate into primordial leaves and primordial
buds (WHICH ARE SHOOTS). So that was my reasoning for telling Mary that
I would call her differing colored leaves with two distinct colors
"sports". Perhaps they represent "primordial sports"....perhaps we can
call them just that. Read the article for more details of these views.
Views should never be set in concrete and I am willing to change my mind
easily if a better explation is offered.

Jim