Re: Species Question

  • Subject: Re: Species Question
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:32:41 -0500

Hi Glenn, All,
Cladistics and phylogenetics provide a way to surmise the evolutionary development of the genus hosta. Several researchers have written on this, Myong Chung being the main one. Ben Zonneveld's work also strengthens the validity of hosta evolution as we now consider it. First, read my comments on evolutionary considerations on page 299, my book. Apparently, there were two evolutionary branches of hosta as described in my book. The northern branch species seem to have higher nuclear DNA content (2C - pg) than the species in the southern branch (per Fig. 1 in Zonneveld and van Iren, in Plant Biology, 3 (2001), 176-185). Thus, Ben's work provides another indicator that this theory may in fact not be one.
W. George