Re: 23 species or less?

  • Subject: Re: 23 species or less?
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 20:38:44 -0800 (PST)

George:

>Hosta has four distinct patterns of veining, transparency and color
>in the tepals.

I realize that there are various traits that can be used to help
identify the hosta species.  However, I was refering to the gross
overall appearance of hosta flowers compared to some other genera.
For example, if you send me a picture of a lily (genus Lilium) I can
probably ID it for you, or at least get close, just from the picture.
I think that would be a lot harder to do with hostas, although there
might be some people who have enough experience with hosta species to
give an educated guess.

>This has caused me to express the opinion that there may be four
>original "superspecies"

How do these 4 original species relate to todays species?  Have you
used any of Ben's DNA data to see if there is any correlation between
these 4 groups and DNA content?

A number of years ago I collected some OP seeds from Charlie
Purtymun's garden, but didn't seperate them by pod parents.  From
these seedling I got 4 progenies that had pinkisk roots with various
degrees of color.  The color has remained stable for the last three
years and I'm hoping to see some F1 progenies from these plants, if
the seeds germinate.  Do you have any idea where the pink root color
may have come from?  Charlie does have some of the Japanese species.

Joe Halinar