Re: Polyploids?

  • Subject: Re: Polyploids?
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:00:30 -0800 (PST)

>However anyone who has done some controlled crosses in hosta like I
>did with white flower color and blue and yellow leaf color knows that
>they now behave as perfect diploids.

Any complex gene system can look like a single gene if all the other
genes are homozygous.  A trait that is actually controlled by a
dominant gene can be made to look like a recessive trait if an
inhibitor gene is segregating.  Just because a trait looks like a
single gene doesn't mean the plant is a diploid or behaving like a

> Lastly It is outright misleading to say that my data are not
>correct by starting with false suppositions like that Hosta range
>from 28 to 32 pg (should be from 17.2 to 26.6 pg,

Many of us on this robin have asked you various questions about your
DNA work and you have NEVER beening willing to discuss it.  You still
haven't told us what the standard deviation is for your data.  You
said something about a 0.2% error, but that by itself is meaningless.

>It is not very relevant to say that hosta might be original

It's obvious you don't know anything about plant breeding,
cytogenetics, evolution and population genetics if you make a
statement like that.

Joe Halinar