Re: Acer platanoides 'Emerald Queen'

  • Subject: Re: Acer platanoides 'Emerald Queen'
  • From: Len Phillips <lenphillips@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 04:40:05 -0800 (PST)

Emerald Queen Norway Maple is bad news in a patio.  This tree has very
shallow roots and within a couple of years, the patio will start to lift.
I would recommend moving it.  However, don't move it into your hosta beds
because the highly competitive roots will choke the hosta roots.  Even
trying to grow grass is difficult under this tree.  Emerald Queen is a
vigorous grower and produces a very dense shade which was probably why it
was planted in the patio.  If the patio is actually a raised deck, you
could keep the tree there, except that the dense shade will encourage mold
and mildew on the deck surface.

However, if you've moved to an urban environment, this is the tree for
you.  This tree survives in the thickest smog and pollution that man has
been able to produce.  It does have dark green leaves that turn yellow in
the fall.  Its oval-round shape will reach a mature size of 50' tall and
40' wide in about 30 years.

You have a tough decision to make.  I hope I was able to help.

Do You Yahoo!?