Re: Tiaras Again

  • Subject: Re: Tiaras Again
  • From: njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:34:23 -0500

Hi Glen,
         I guess what you mean is "white-centered one" as there are
gold-centered ones, of course. 'Royal Tiara' is not a Tiara, and probably is
a sport of 'Gold Edger' or 'Gold Drop'. 'Silver Tiara' was a white-centered
form that existed long enough at Walters to get a name, but did not survive
the move out into the gardens of the real world. If there are any left, I'd
be surprised. I don't think any others appeared, but I could be wrong.
         Truth is that not that many sports really did occur in the original
Tiaras, unlike 'Hyacinthina' which has produced them by the hundreds. The
new round of sports from 'Grand Tiara', showing much stronger and thicker
leaves is different, though. 'Amber Tiara' is full of little bits of mutated
tissue, with at least one spot of another color appearing on every ten
leaves or so. We've only begun to see the sports that it will eventually
produce with the four that have been named by Walters. Although I haven't
yet heard of a white-centered one, it would not surprise me at all if it's
out there (maybe at Walters). I have a white-edged 'Grand Tiara' sport here,
which if it goes into culture could yield a reverse. I am pretty sure that
Walters has some streaked forms of the 'Grand Tiara' type, so one of them
may have stabilized by now. I have 'Opal Tiara', which is a streaked 'Golden
Scepter', and it may yield a white-centered form, but it will not be as good
a plant as one from the 'Grand Tiara' series. It has formed leaves that are
showing a tendency to stabilize that way.
          Anyway, I expect we'll see one or more in the next few years. We
haven't exhausted the Tiaras yet.