Re: name plate

  • Subject: Re: name plate
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:00:27 -0500

Hi Butch Graves,

In 1993, I wrote the volume List of species, botanical varieties and forms, and specioids for The American Hosta Society. This booklet is still available from Steve Green (see The Hosta Journal). In this, to simplify things for the average gardener and to shorten the names, the varietas and forma designations were eliminated. Notwithstanding, the correct and full botanical names were also listed together with the abbreviated ones. Mark Zilis decided to use the simplified names because his book was written for the average gardeners. For your purposes (labeling in a botanical garden), these subspecific rank designations must be maintained and the botanically correct name of the botanical variety should be H. kikutii var. yakusimensis (as listed in my book).

W. George Schmid