Spring ?

  • Subject: Spring ?
  • From: "Mary Chastain" <MC_hosta@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:06:29 -0500

They tell me it is spring. I wonder how the birds, trees and flowers feel
about the idea. Just before dark tonight I learned that the temperature is
to drop lower than originally thought, so I rushed back out again to place
brick on the boxes ( the wind is howling) drain the water hose add
additional cover to last year's seedlings that are already about 10 inches
and heap extra pine needles over anything that I could protect.

Just as I started into the plant room, I discovered that two Japanese maples
near the door had almost full grown leaves, Darwin tulips are in bloom and
the zoyia grass which is usually brown until May is already green. If I
could have entered hosta leaves in a show today, I had some perfect ones.
Just think how these may look by the first of June.

Most of TN had a lot of rain but here we did not even catch up for the year.
We were over 4 inches behind the normal and only received about 2.

This past week, I found time to spray round up on all the weeds, clean all
of the containers in all of the houses, clean the rest of the leaves from
the growing area, spread fertilizer over almost all of the plants, (still
need to do a few trees) add top soil to the holes where new seedlings will
go this spring. Mowed the yard and had over 40 bags which is more than
normal for this time of the year. Didn't get to start pruning since the
instructions with my clippers say they are not to be used when the ground is
wet. At night I continued to up pot seedlings and work on the house.

Since Christmas, I have finished the tile on the wall behind all of the
kitchen cabinets, papered the bedroom, painted the bathroom and helped Roy
work on cab nits in the dining area. After several years of neglecting the
house for the hosta the time came when something must be done. I already
have next year's projects on the colander.

For those of you that have been so nice to ask, Roy's hand is doing well.
The stitches are out and most of the swelling is gone. He is able to move
the thumb and hopefully can begin to use it in another few weeks. I sure
hope he can by the time we need to load the truck for our trip to KY and
then on to OH. He is my best packer. Our system is, I select the plants and
clean the containers while he packs the truck.

This cold spell is just a little thing but the ones between now and mid
April often become a burden. When some of the hostas are five feet across
protection becomes difficult. So I ask myself why do I continue to grow
these things? Oh well what can one grow down here?If it is not too hot it is
too cold if it is not too wet it is too dry. In my next life I will choose
my garden spot more carefully.
Mary

PS My Great Lakes Gold is growing well but it is green. Does anyone know
when it becomes yellow?

Mary Chastain
Lakeside Acres
8119 Roy Lane