Re: Spring, sort of

  • Subject: Re: Spring, sort of
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 08:47:46 -0500

Hi Ann, The soil in potted hostas warms up to air temps a lot faster than
native soil hence early emergence for the hostas. Also, most pots are black
and (when sited in sunny locations) absorb the sun's heat energy. Just feel
the side of a pot that has been sitting in the sun for a while. Native soil
usually has mulch on top (or even without mulch) stays cool a lot longer
delaying the spring growth. WGS

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL