Re: A moral question

  • Subject: Re: A moral question
  • From: "Bill Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:35:34 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

TO: Glen Williams and others, etcetera -- sent/received via hosta-open@hort

REGARDING the Moral Question, about TC labs flooding the market with newly
released hosta plant-types.. well, THE WAY I SEE IT:

--> If and when, a hybridizing breeder, sells one of his new hybrids
(registered or not?) then it becomes an open ball game as to what the
purchaser does with that specimen plant he bought.  If he wishes to
vegetatively propagate same to make money, that is nobody else's business,
simply because he bought the released item.

If on the other hand, say someone gives freely, a specimen plant gift, of
their own breeding, let's say to another grower/breeder as a sample for
trial investigation & evaluation and so on -- THEN -- as I understand it --
your moral question does come into play -- since it was not a purchase, but
rather a free gift, for evaluation purpuses alone.  IF THIS FREE GIFT WERE
PUT INTO PROPAGATION, then there could be trouble, since there is a
Gentlemen/women-HYBRIDIZER'S UNWRITTEN AGREEMENT, which goes something like
this -- plants passed between growers/hybridizers freely -- are not to be
marketed by anyone other than the originator of same, as I understand this

You can see how this FREE TRADING and passing of gifts from one to another
-- can lead to problems down the road -- and well into the future even?
Like say for example, when a hybridizer *PASSES OVER* (rest their souls?)
and then, the estate takes possession of their hosta collection?  Much of
this collection can be free gifts from other breeders, and which, the
inheritors (and/or estate liquidation auction-purchasers?) may put into
massive tc propagation, whenever wanted later, say?  They would not know
about the free gift aspect.  AS AN EXAMPLE OF THIS -- Back in 1989, a plant
collector in Toronto, whom was collecting the rare specimens of plant genus
on a world-wide basis (many hostas included?).  The late 'Doctor Henry
Landis'  was murdered, by someone whom took possession of his gold cane.
His plant collection was liquidated via private selling & auction.  Who is
to say, that some of that collection was only there as gifts from original
breeders; and as such, should not have been passed onward towards
commercialization (after it's estate selling?).

I suppose -- THE SIMPLE SOLUTION -- is not to sell those plant materials,
which a hybridizer has high hopes for future sales, possibly?

Recently, our own hosta-guru-genius, Doctor Ralph Benedict of Michigan,
passed over -- bless his soul -- and may he rest in eternal peace, evermore.
  Now, if his hosta collection were sold for example -- to say a tc lab --
who is to say -- what they may or may not find in it? Maybe even
other-breeder's goodies, not released as yet!  The moral question here is,
should they be blocked from tc propagation or any kind of reselling, and how
would this impossibility be done exactly?

Just my few thoughts on the MORAL QUESTION --

and remaining hosta sincerely yours

B>)) /bill nash\canada
ps..even if, you the hybridizer, were able to put a patent on your plant
item, I would like to suggest, that this patent, does not cross borders into
foreign countries and only applies to the  country of it's origin?

AND what with, the world's oil barons having gotten into Agriculture; and of
course, are doing special gene implants with world crops like soyabeans,
wheat, rice and so on.  Can you imagine, what will happen to our planet's
food supply, if we grant them the right to patent world crops on a
world-wide basis of application?

Just a dumb question!.. to really meditate on? ;>)) "wink"