Re: A moral question

  • Subject: Re: A moral question
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 05:14:15 -0500

 Since  you have questioned my planet and my tenuous grasp on reality I
feel duty bound to clarify the butter for your benefit. First the "fear the
turtle" comment. I think a lot about turtles...well actually tortoises, for
I know that the earth is flat and that it is carried throughout the cosmos
on the back of a giant tortoise. In fact that tortoise rests on the back of
another tortoise...... and so on all the way down. Clearly this establishes
"my" planet ". You in particular are right to fear the turtle. Keep up the
good work.

I have now responded to your worthy questions. But don't worry , there is
more. lest you fear I will let you off too easily!

>I have two comments:
>1.  Fear the Turtle!!!!!!  The Maryland Terrapins, less than one day
>after upsetting Wake Forest, came back from 21 points down to upset NC
>State.  Now they head into the ACC finals tomorrow, probably to get
>their butts kicked by Duke.  Ahh, the glories of Maryland basketball.
>2.  Glen - What planet do you live on?
>It must be a long, cold, snowy winter up there in Vermont.  Or is your
>depression about Howard Dean exploding addling your brain?

ANOTHER ANSWER. Your last aside I see as an attack on my beloved
Vermont...which I feel I must respond to. Yes it has been cold and and the
price of heating oil is now at $1.74 a gallon. And Howard Dean, what can I
say? In fact what can anyone say?  You were all given a choice to partake
of Howard's wisdom. I would remind you that a fool and his vote are soon
parted. And since he lost his bid to martyrdom, the sap in the maple trees
is now running much more slowly. Alas there may be little bounty of our
wonderful maple syrup this year. I am sure that the good folk of your state
will make do with that Log Cabin variety of artificial sweetener. But less
I confirm your diagnosis of being addled, I will not pursue this tempting

>There is no moral question.  If you want to protect your precious new
>hybrid you either control it for a short time and make the most of it,
>or patent it.  You cannot depend on the goodness of others to protect
>your "investment" out of the kindness of their hearts.  I suspect that
>most people don't even care about the prohibition on propagation of
>patented plants, much less voluntary arrangements.

Now to the protein content of this last outrageous statement. I would have
said"meat" of your argument, but it is the protein of baked beans that you
have delivered. If you have read the plays of Tennessee Williams ( a
distant relative I might add) you must be aware of Blanche Duboise's famous
line " I depend on the kindness of strangers." A more poignant line in
literature you will never find. Of course she is proved to be a silly
person for doing such a thing, but still this cri de coeur is fundamental
to the human race.  To quote Charles Dickens " The law is an ass." Indeed
it is. One never legislates morality. It is always a rearguard
action...after-the-fact responses to the inevitable perfidy of humankind. I
accept this, but as the philosopher E Kant once remarked "The only true
dilemmas for mankind are moral dilemmas. We have it in ourselves to be
better, to act without fear of the lash. I merely, but grandiloquently ,
make the case  that behavior in the hosta community has a chance to set the
standard for the rest of the world. You argument would deny us the chance
to respond to our better natures and to rise above the lowly standards of
those lesser folk who buy annuals, and subject their neighbors to petunias
and geraniums. Well, I feel I need to say no more. I wish you well CHick in
your blighted existence  which clearly demonstrates your lack of faith in
your fellow man.

I am now going to go back to work and I will be listening to a loop of tape
which allows me once again to hear to the dulcet tones of Howard Dean's
agonized scream as he finally realized that Vermont only offers 27
different hostas for sale. There is great poignancy in that cry...for those
willing to hear it.

PS. I am sure you mean well... glen

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes.""Even a lie is a psychic
fact." -Carl Jung, psychiatrist (1875-1961)

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839