hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
 Navigation
Articles
Gallery of Plants
Blog
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Patents
Mailing Lists
    FAQ
    Netiquette
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
Links
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: A moral question

  • Subject: Re: A moral question
  • From: "Tim Saville" <timsaville@breathe.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:14:40 -0000

Hi Guys
These postings must be a sign that the gang will soon be back from College,
full of the joys of spring and bursting with jpegs. Please!!!!!!
Tim over the pond
Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Glen Williams" <gw1944@vermontel.net>
To: <hosta-open@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: A moral question


> Chick:
>
>  Since  you have questioned my planet and my tenuous grasp on reality I
> feel duty bound to clarify the butter for your benefit. First the "fear
the
> turtle" comment. I think a lot about turtles...well actually tortoises,
for
> I know that the earth is flat and that it is carried throughout the cosmos
> on the back of a giant tortoise. In fact that tortoise rests on the back
of
> another tortoise...... and so on all the way down. Clearly this
establishes
> "my" planet ". You in particular are right to fear the turtle. Keep up the
> good work.
>
> I have now responded to your worthy questions. But don't worry , there is
> more. lest you fear I will let you off too easily!
>
> YOU WROTE:
>
> >I have two comments:
> >
> >1.  Fear the Turtle!!!!!!  The Maryland Terrapins, less than one day
> >after upsetting Wake Forest, came back from 21 points down to upset NC
> >State.  Now they head into the ACC finals tomorrow, probably to get
> >their butts kicked by Duke.  Ahh, the glories of Maryland basketball.
> >
> >2.  Glen - What planet do you live on?
> >
> >It must be a long, cold, snowy winter up there in Vermont.  Or is your
> >depression about Howard Dean exploding addling your brain?
>
> ANOTHER ANSWER. Your last aside I see as an attack on my beloved
> Vermont...which I feel I must respond to. Yes it has been cold and and the
> price of heating oil is now at $1.74 a gallon. And Howard Dean, what can I
> say? In fact what can anyone say?  You were all given a choice to partake
> of Howard's wisdom. I would remind you that a fool and his vote are soon
> parted. And since he lost his bid to martyrdom, the sap in the maple trees
> is now running much more slowly. Alas there may be little bounty of our
> wonderful maple syrup this year. I am sure that the good folk of your
state
> will make do with that Log Cabin variety of artificial sweetener. But less
> I confirm your diagnosis of being addled, I will not pursue this tempting
> diversion.
>
>
> >
> >There is no moral question.  If you want to protect your precious new
> >hybrid you either control it for a short time and make the most of it,
> >or patent it.  You cannot depend on the goodness of others to protect
> >your "investment" out of the kindness of their hearts.  I suspect that
> >most people don't even care about the prohibition on propagation of
> >patented plants, much less voluntary arrangements.
> >
> >Chick:
>
>
> Now to the protein content of this last outrageous statement. I would have
> said"meat" of your argument, but it is the protein of baked beans that you
> have delivered. If you have read the plays of Tennessee Williams ( a
> distant relative I might add) you must be aware of Blanche Duboise's
famous
> line " I depend on the kindness of strangers." A more poignant line in
> literature you will never find. Of course she is proved to be a silly
> person for doing such a thing, but still this cri de coeur is fundamental
> to the human race.  To quote Charles Dickens " The law is an ass." Indeed
> it is. One never legislates morality. It is always a rearguard
> action...after-the-fact responses to the inevitable perfidy of humankind.
I
> accept this, but as the philosopher E Kant once remarked "The only true
> dilemmas for mankind are moral dilemmas. We have it in ourselves to be
> better, to act without fear of the lash. I merely, but grandiloquently ,
> make the case  that behavior in the hosta community has a chance to set
the
> standard for the rest of the world. You argument would deny us the chance
> to respond to our better natures and to rise above the lowly standards of
> those lesser folk who buy annuals, and subject their neighbors to petunias
> and geraniums. Well, I feel I need to say no more. I wish you well CHick
in
> your blighted existence  which clearly demonstrates your lack of faith in
> your fellow man.
>
> I am now going to go back to work and I will be listening to a loop of
tape
> which allows me once again to hear to the dulcet tones of Howard Dean's
> agonized scream as he finally realized that Vermont only offers 27
> different hostas for sale. There is great poignancy in that cry...for
those
> willing to hear it.
>
> PS. I am sure you mean well... glen
>
> "History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes.""Even a lie is a psychic
> fact." -Carl Jung, psychiatrist (1875-1961)
>
> Glen Williams
> 20 Dewey St.
> Springfield , Vermont
> 05156
> Tel: 802-885-2839
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
> message text UNSUBSCRIBE HOSTA-OPEN

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
message text UNSUBSCRIBE HOSTA-OPEN





 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index