Re: A moral question

  • Subject: Re: A moral question
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:31:52 -0500

One of the fun things about writing for the robin is that one never has a
clue what others will read into what one wrote, how they will respond  (if
they indeed do), and where the thread will lead. We all read with blinders
on.

Since I am clearly too addled to respond to all the statements about
morality,  ethics, patents, rights, and Machiavellian business
philosophies, I would simply like to repeat my motive for writing what I
did. Sparring with Chick and Bill is just frosting on the cake....but
always a treat.

Quite simply I would like  the  hybridizer of a hosta to put his/her label
on it indicating that he/she has approved that particular TC process. I am
much more apt to buy this plant because I know that just perhaps a few
pennies are going back to the person that bred the plant despite the fact
that it may be appearing in a nusery near me. If hybridizers would adopt
this idea, one would quickly know if the transcaction actually involved the
person who originated the plant. This does not seem complicated to me. It
may not be a good idea but it seems downright Charlie-Brown-simple.
Although I have learned to expect that Lucy is always lurking in the
undergrowth just waiting to give it a twist I had not imagined.

glen

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes.""Even a lie is a psychic
fact." -Carl Jung, psychiatrist (1875-1961)

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156