RE: Trends in hostas

  • Subject: RE: Trends in hostas
  • From: ranbl@netsync.net
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:48:04 -0500 (EST)

We are touching on one of my favorite themes.  This is an area I have
been working on for over 15 years, and many folks don't really know how
far This process has come.  We now have hosta plants with blooms on
short repete crests, like 'Oh My Heart'  There are hostas with heavly
brenched scapes that produce amazing "clouds" of blooms across and just
above the foliage mass.  There are some new plants like 'Pacer'  that
carry huge, dense heads of deep purple blooms.  I now have a verigated
foliage plant called 'Kermit' thet has a very flouriforus bloom massing
of light lavender blooms , this plant is from yingeri heritage and the
blooms are "faced" on all sides.  I have hybrids with pink flowers and
with blue blooms.  And wonderfull blooms with a wide variety of showy
striped blooma and two tone picotees.  Why arn't many of these on the
market?  The process of offering these plants is much more complicated
than simply offering a new hosta.  I will go into this in a second
By the way the process of writing rules and adding them to hosta judging
, is also very long and some what complicated.  This process in well
underway and has been headed up bt Carolyn Schaffner.  Look for a lot
more on this in the future.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Gardens
10749 Bennett Rd