Re: Trends in hostas (The blooms part 2)

  • Subject: Re: Trends in hostas (The blooms part 2)
  • From: ranbl@netsync.net
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:38:05 -0500 (EST)

Many beautiful flowering hosta now exist.  why then are so few on the
market, tha feature blooms. ?  for those of us that are involved in this
area, the production and introduction of a "new" hosta is necessarly a
long one if we want to introduce a " worthy" plant.  For most the
slection and observation time ends up being a minimum of five years and
often much longer.  But when real great blooming is factored in, the
time is far greater. It takes at last seven years to really see what the
full "presentation" will be.  a very high percentage of the crosses I
make ( where I actually do see a pretty new color or pattern) end up
with scaps that are far to tall and whispy or with foliage that is
terriable.  The answer is another round of crosses, ( a constant anyway)
more years of observation. Getting'Oh My Heart' to market was a 12
process!  Still wonder why so few work for improved blooms?
Thanks
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Gardens
10749 Bennett Rd.