Re: A moral question

  • Subject: Re: A moral question
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" <Hostanut@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:39:37 -0500

I think "A moral question" is a bad name for this thread because it's not
about morals.

It's really a legal question. The hybridizer needs take the necessary legal
steps to secure their plants. The hybridizer has to step up and become a
business person.........not just a plant person....if they want to profit from
their breeding efforts.

I find it kind of humorous when I hear of people sending their plants to a TC
lab and expecting all sports from this plant to belong to them too. I wonder
if they expect the fungi, mites and bacteria that grow in those test tubes to
belong to them too?

Hosta hybridizers have never made much money. The money is made(and it's
disappearing fast) by the people who propagate and market hostas.  We have
nursery people who are doing both the hybridizing and marketing of their own
hostas and we often see their hostas selling for $100 or so and in limited
distribution. Even this kind of hybridizer/business person is in danger

Some hosta collectors eventually figure out that paying $100 for a hosta just
because it's distribution has been limited to keep the price high is not the
path to a great garden or even a great plant collection. Lots of hosta
collectors have caught on to the fact that they can just wait a couple of
years and buy the same plant for $15 or $20 and even at that price it's still
not the equal of older cultivars.

I know some hosta collectors are upset that so many fine hostas were on the
market cheap. They use to be $100 and you could not get them. Now everyone has
them. How terrible.