RE: A moral question

Though I never wanted to enter into this debate from it's onset I figure
hey what the heck, why not.

....anyway.... here goes.....

Though extrememly new to the world of hybridizing, yet somewhat seasoned
in the world of hosta addiction, I never thought to myself at anypoint....
"Geee I sure hope that I get compensated for all of these great plants
that I've 'created'!"

Hmmmm..... 'created'

I understand fully, however, that I only (as said hybridizer) played a
small and truly insignificant role in the 'creation' of these new and
wonderful hosta in my yard.   I'd like to say that on the best of my
abilities I've compensated everybody involved and likely those more
deserving than myself.

I've compensated the soil with compost and mulch for the abuse and
depletion that I've caused it by planting all these dang hosta.

I'd like to believe that I've compensated the Bee's for their
efforts in selecting some outstanding combinations they've made
by providing them a pool to drink from and a variety of blooms to
feed from through out the season.

I'd like to believe that I've compensated the Utlility Co for their
supply of seedling sustaining light and energy by occasionally paying
my Bill on time.  I do believe candle light is considered inefficient
and uneffective in maintaing seedlings.

I'd like to believe that I've compensated my family and friends with
whom I'll likely be spending very little time as the spring season
approaches by giving them a great place to sit and watch me work and
obsess in the few hours a week I'm home during daylight hours.

I don't know where I'm going with this but it all seems silly and
rediculous.   When it is all over with and done I'd like to say I
lived my life like Herb and Dorothy Benedict.  That I've  shared
my plants... to be done with at will of those I've given them.
Had the Benedicts not done what they did, with the grace and style
that they did it....most of us wouldn't have a plant to hybridize with.

With the increasing number of hybridizers both 'professional' and
hobbiest... Seedlings will soon get like sports.... Everybody will
have one like that in their garden too.  Sooner or later.

I love to be able to say to another hosta enthusiest that I have this
one and nobody else does, or only a few do.  I want to contniue to
be able to say that again and again.  I will continue to trade and
purchase high end 'rare' hosta and I will continue to get burned
on occasion by TC.  But I buy whenever possible from the hybridizer
directly. I've made relationships that I treasure and will maintain
all levels of respect and trust with.

Nuff said