Re: A moral question

  • Subject: Re: A moral question
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" <Hostanut@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:24:02 -0500

Bill,

Unfortunately the days of the $100 hosta are numbered for the very reason you
stated. I was one of those collectors, and I was one of those crying into my
towel when the very next year it was $15.00. Now you want to talk about
morals, let's take the gloves off. You buy a hosta, regardless of price, and
"the fairies" cause it to change into something else. What is morally right
about charging other gardeners $100 for that? What is morally right about
getting a small batch of TC's of this plant for $5.00 each and withholding
them, then letting them out one at a time, for a $100 bucks. Worse yet,
knowing that you have 2000 of them hitting the market next season for half
that price (if you're lucky), is that moral? Shouldn't you refund some
quarters to those of us who paid the $100 for the $5.00 TC plant?

Now there are exceptions, like those plants that do not TC well. Dorothy
Benedict comes to mind. But to charge $200 for a plant that "cost" $5.00 is a
tad unethical, or is it? The fact is, this is business. It's business for
those of us selling hostas, and it's business for those who hybridize them. If
either one is a poor business person, than shame on them.

I'm all for 'agreements' between nursery owners and hybridizers, because I
recognize that $5 grand for a patent is a bit much. I'm all for sharing "the
wealth" (that is a joke). But you gotta realize that the moment you put that
plant up for sale, and you have not patented it, it's up for grabs. If a
nurseryman goes against your agreement, then go after them. Lawyer fees should
be recouped when you fry their ass in court, or you ain't got a good enough
lawyer. I dare say that most of the nurserymen I know are willing to get into
this kind of agreement, they are not your problem. It's the people who buy
your plant that are your problem, and when they show up at eBay that's the
problem. To label nursery owners unethical because of a few thieves, is just
silly. You have only one season to make your money from the nursery where you
are introducing your plant. After that, sorry, but you are entitled to
nothing, unless you spend the bucks on a patent. It's the facts, it's
business, and making it a moral question is a sad turn of events. Very sad. Do
you send the other $7.50 per hour that it takes to make your clothes to
Indonesia because they are only making a quarter an hour to make them, you
know....Morals don't enter into this business any more than they do in
anything else in our existence. The fact that there are nurseryman who are
willing to get into these agreements, is, as Martha says, a very good thing.
We are not any more immoral anybody else.

Funny you mention Xanadu Paisley, we have had it in our garden for a few
years, and you would never see that plant for sale at our nursery without
Brian & Virginia's written permission and agreement. The fact is, it was a
gift plant we are trialing for Southern  gardens, THAT's where morals come to
play.. . Had I purchased it, and propagated it, and had enough to sell, I
would be selling it. That's not immoral. We will always do what is right for
our customers and our business. We honor all agreements with hybridizers, most
of us here are honorable. Yes, even Chick. We are not the bad guys.

Lu