Re: Pre-Emergent Herbicides

Hi, Bill,

I have not conducted side-by-side comparisons, but undoubtedly someone has. Suffice it to say that I do not have a weed problem, and should there be some small difference in efficacy, to my way of thinking, the the lack of toxicity is an advantage that overrides it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
To: <hosta-open@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: Pre-Emergent Herbicides

Hi Viktoria,
I have heard of corn gluten as a pre-emegrent but not of how well it
works. You're the first person I've heard having experience with it. Does it
perform as well as Surflan and Treflan? The latter do a very good job,
eliminating the vast majority of annual weeds. As long as they are not used
to excess they are pretty safe for everything but small roots.
......Bill Meyer

I vastly prefer to use corn gluten (Amaize, WOW, Safe and Simple etc.) for
pre-emergent weed control because of virtually no toxicity at all. It is
best applied in early season before foliage unfurls because it will damage
leaves if applied in wet conditions (but will not kill the plants). The
drawback is that you must think a year ahead: 90% of the effect is in the
following year. In my state it can only be sold as a fertilizer (8-0-0),
but the pre-emergent effect has been documented in university studies.