Re: Pre-Emergent Herbicides

I checked the application rate on the bag and found that I mis-remembered: it is 20lbs/1000sq'. I personally don't mind the cost. While not a fanatic about it, I prefer to garden organically whenever feasible.

I also did notice that it is now labelled for use as a pre-emergent.

Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: Pre-Emergent Herbicides

Viktoria, thank you for writing about the nontoxic control.  I am the only
one around here who does not put chemicals on ground.  With that said, I
will say that I am toward the bottom of the hill which means I get the
runoff.
TO ALL THE  POSTERS OF SEEDLINGS:  Don't any of you have UGLY seedlings?
LOL  Sandra

Date: 3/3/2005 10:15:25 PM

Hi, Bill,

I have not conducted side-by-side comparisons, but undoubtedly someone
has.
Suffice it to say that I do not have a weed problem, and should there be
some small difference in efficacy, to my way of thinking, the the lack of
toxicity is an advantage that overrides it.

Viktoria

Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:20 PM

> Hi Viktoria,
> I have heard of corn gluten as a pre-emegrent but not of how well > it
> works. You're the first person I've heard having experience with it.
Does
> it
> perform as well as Surflan and Treflan? The latter do a very good job,
> eliminating the vast majority of annual weeds. As long as they are not
> used
> to excess they are pretty safe for everything but small roots.
>                                ......Bill Meyer
>

>> I vastly prefer to use corn gluten (Amaize, WOW, Safe and Simple etc.)
>> for
>> pre-emergent weed control because of virtually no toxicity at all.  It
is
>> best applied in early season before foliage unfurls because it will
>> damage
>> leaves if applied in wet conditions (but will not kill the plants).
The