Propagation of seedlings

Ken (and others interested),

More on the seedling (or young TC plant) propagation experiments:

As I reported earlier, the deed was done several days ago on the 2 Royal
Standard seedlings [10 weeks old] by cutting the tops (leaves and
petioles) off with scissors at soil level.   Now that five days have
passed, the two plants are making a valiant effort to grow from center
meristem.  We will have to wait to see if and when the plants send up
side shoots from the young leaf buds.  As I said before, this is nothing
more than Ran Lydell's lawn mower method on a mini-scale.

To broaden this experiment, I have just taken the scalpel and cut off the
top 1/5th of the crown (of course this includes the leaves and petioles
and the meristem).  I then sprayed the crown with fungicide (Benomyl in
wettable powder form).  Replanted crown and soaked soil with fungicide.
I read somewhere (Schmid?) that this method is used in Japan as a
propagation method for hosta plants - but on seedlings?  It also is
similar in effect to the "heel method."

This completes my propagation trials on young seedlings.  We can now
compare: 1) Rossizing, 2) cut off tops and 3) cut off top 1/5 of crown.
Did not use large enough population to make extensive comparison, but
this will give us some indications of effectiveness.  Perhaps next year I
will do these methods on a larger scale for a better comparison.

Someone e-mailed question about sprayer I use for applying fungicide to
seedlings and crowns.  I found at KMart an "All Purpose Plant Sprayer,
pressure type water sprayer."  It has a 52 oz capacity.  Cost $5.99!
Best gardening bargain I've found yet.  You can pump up pressure and
adjust sprayer nozzle.  One of my most valued tools in the gardening
chest.  I own two of them.  By-the-way, this would be a GREAT sprayer for
those of you who go slug hunting with ammonia.  It has capacity and
range!

Charles Tuttle
Columbus  OH   Z5