Hosta Wheels and Artist's Palette

You asked if I could send you information to try to understand the
Wheels better.
I must admit that the Wheels Document is not strong in the
"instructions" department. I have looked to see if I have anything in
E-Mail format to explain it better but I can't find anything specific.

I'll try to explain briefly to help you understand what it is and how to
use it.

The concept is based in the so-called Benedict Cross, named for Dr.
Ralph Benedict hosta hybridizer in Michigan. He described a streaked
"mother plant" which being unstable, changed to green form, yellow form,
a margin  variegated form and a center variegated form. This description
was somewhat simplistic and I revised it  to show how ANY form can
change to other forms. This has been demonstrated by many observations,
not just mine. I simply tried to organize these observations into a
graphic format. We are talking principally about Chimeras here...all of
the various types variegated sports plus monocolored forms which are
observed in Hostas. This concept of Chimeras is based on the work of
Jones(1934), Dermen (1950's and 60's), Vaughn (1980's) and others later.

The wheel is explained by considering a clock with the following colors
12 h= green, 2h = white margin, 3 h= cream margin, 4 h= yellow margin, 6
h= yellow form, 7 h= green margin, yellow center, 9 h= gr margin, cream
center, 10 h= gr margin white center. This too is simplistic but helps
give you the idea used to show the various colors on a clock
face....i.e. "the wheel". These colors and their patterns of
distribution are the examples of the major chimeras with their various
colors which occur in hostas. It is complex and requires considerable
study to understand it well. But if my 10 year old grandaughter can
understand it , so can you. Persist and it will come to you. Remember we
are discussing SPORTS which come from a common progenitor . Each group
of related sports comprises a different wheel. The progenitor indicated
in bold type shows the group name of the related sports.
The Wheels document represents DATA...known information about historical
incidences of sports which are observed and named usually by the finder
of the sport. The Wheel document is always being added to and updated.

I hope this has been helpful.

Jim Hawes

Jim Hawes