Re: favorite perennials

  • To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
  • Subject: Re: favorite perennials
  • From: "Barbara Weitemier" <bweite@innw.net>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 99 20:00:51 PST

Just a few to add---hardy to Z 5 at least.
1. adiantum venustum (Himalayan maidenhair) 10" lovely foliage, spreading.
Warning !! Don't plant near any plant shorter than 15". my clump has
reached the also spreading vancouveria---I don't know yet which is winning.
2. hakonechloa macra (green variety) elegant with tokudama 'aureonebulosa'
I like it better than the yellow/green striped.
3. needlepoint ivy. slow growing, especially nice draped over rocks.
4. oak fern---deciduous. gymnocarpium dropteris 'Plumosus' lovely mat
chartreus fronds. also spreading but slowly.
5. dwarf mondo "grass" (am tired of spelling complicated names) slowly
spreading, VERY slowly.
6. heuchera, all the newer purple/burgundy foliage types---Pewter Veil,
Stormy Seas, etc. etc.
7. hepatica---blue, white flowers.
8. some dicentra---many species---some run, some clump. take your choice
9. pulmonaria, of course.
I know this is more than three, but they all clamored for inclusion so
couldn't leave any out. escept for those who aren't above ground yet.
Barbara Weitemier