Re: Hybridization...

Matt Hammett wrote:

> Hi,
> I am interested in getting a hosta that I can hybridize and get
> variegated seedlings from.
> I know about using streaked pod parents and how that works.
> But I do not have any.
> I have no real plan at this time of where I want to go with this
> other than trying this out and learning more about this subject.
> I am interested in ideas of what types of hostas to obtain as pod
> parents and
> good hostas to pollinate them with.

> Matt H. (Aiken, SC)

*************

Matt
I know when you are starting out, this problem is confusing.  I would
suggest that you buy a "streaked seedling" from a good source( they are
offered by several folks including Chick at Bridgwiid Gardens.) We have
streaked Minuts F1 s for 35.00 these should make great parents.  The
main thing is for you to gradually devlope your own streaked parents,
that are produving "offspring" you like.  I think to start, it is more
important what you use for pollen parents, than what your streaked
parent is.  Some luck,in this, is also good!
Ran