Re: B H & G Hosta Article

Alan Summers owns Carroll Gardens. Alan is a lifetime member of the
American Hosta Society. Alan is the son of our founder, Alex Summers.

The hostas being offered in the article in Better Homes and Gardens were
chosen by staff at BH and G. Carroll Gardens is the supplier.

Last year Alan and Better Homes and Gardens did an article on Iris and
sales were very good. I am sure this year hostas will be a repeat
performance.

Here are some in stock figures from Shady Oaks Nursery. (t.c. liners)

Great Expectations---------34,000
Frances Williams------------20,000
Inniswood----------------------10,100
Island Charm-------------------8,000
Halcyon--------------------------8,200
King Tut-------------------------14,000
montana Aureomarginata-10,000
Mountain Snow----------------8,500
Olive Baily Langdon----------11,000
On Stage-------------------------8,900
Patroit-----------------------------24,000
Paul's Glory----------------------9,700
So Sweet-------------------------17,200
Spilt Milk--------------------------13,300--------$5.25
Tambourine----------------------10,400
Whirlwind--------------------------9,600

Who is buying all of these hostas?
Obviously its not the 3,500 members of the American Hosta Society.

Who is selling all of these hostas?
Obviously its not the AHS Hosta Growers Association members.

It's easy to get caught up in the belief that the AHS is the center of
the hosta universe. We purchase a very small percentage of the hostas
sold in the marketplace. I talked with someone from Terra Nova at the
Winter Scientific Meeting who told me sales of hostas to members of the
AHS account for less than 1% of their sales.

The BH and G article is aimed at the general public. They are the ones
who will buy these hostas.

 Who would buy a $150 hosta that will be $75 next year, $30 the year
after, and $5 as a tissue liner the year after that?

It's not John Q.

Caveat emptor,

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE