Re: Genetics question (continued)

You asked "I wonder why the Y gene wouldn't have been lost from the
population (due to competition)?

The dominance of Y has little to do with directly controlling the
populations of greens and yellows. Y is dominant over the y gene. This
means that Y controls amino acid and protein production within cells in
a way which shows dominance of gene expression over  y influence on
amino acid and protein production. It is the end product of proteins in
cells that determine physiological phenomena in cells...i.e. destruction
of chlorophyll, for example. Although chlorophyll may be destroyed, the
carotenoid pigments of Yy are also photosynthetic and provide adequate
photosynthesis to demonstrate survival of or even vigor in yellow
plants. These examples may represent varying degrees of lutescence. They
are out there in nature and in our gardens. A good example is H. 'August
Moon'. We are talking about monocolored types here. When sports occur,
then it is more complicated. We can talk about that some other day, OK?