Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #323

Ben:

>according to Kevin Vaughn in the hosta journal hostas are build
>from two layers. A recent publication on Dracaena states there are
>four layers. What proof do you have that there are three layers in
>Hosta?

The three layer structure is the most common, so I am just using it as
an example.  Whether or not hostas have two, three or four layers
isn't all that material to the point I was making - which is that all
chimeras are lost when they go through a sexual process because all
embryos start off as a single cell.  Since all cells in a seedling are
derived from one cell, then all cells in a seedling are going to have
the same cytoplasm, baring some mutation that takes place after the
zygote divides.  There is no mechanism for plants to produce
cytoplastmic periclinal chimeras on a regular basis through a sexual
process.

It is also dificult to explain a lot of hosta veriegation by assuming
chlorplast mutations.  If an white mediovariegated hosta were due to
mutated chloroplasts, and eggs are dervired from L2 tissue, then these
hostas would only produce albino seedlings because the egg cells would
only contain mutated albino chloroplasts.

Joe Halinar