Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #324

>Joe is this why some of the Hosta I have produce a good number of
>pure white seedlings?

Nuclear albino genes are fairly common and it sounds like the albinos
you are getting are recessive albino alleles.  Chlorophyll
biosynthesis is a very complex and long process, so there are a lot of
steps along the way where recessive alleles will stop chlorophyll
synthesis and result in albino seedlings.  If the recessive genes are
located at the tail end of the chlorophyll synthesis pathway, then the
seedlings will be xanthous.

What I was spectulating on is what would happen if the chloroplast DNA
was mutated so you really had a mutated chloroplast.  If you had a
mutated chloroplast where the inability to produce green chloroplasts
was due to the mutation in the chloroplasts, and these mutated
chloroplasts made up the L2 layer, then, in theory, ALL (1000%) of the
seedlings from this hosta when used as a pod parent would be albino,
except for any egg cells that developed from the L1 layer, which
should produce green seedlings.  What I am wonder is if anyone has had
anything like this occure to them.  This also could be a way to
determine the origin of the ovule tissue.

Joe Halinar