Re: New Topic---Favorite Private Gardens & Public Gardens

So we are on the topic of favorite gardens.

I have not been to many hosta gardens since I have only been a hostaphyle for
a year, but I have two to tell you about:

1).	Last June I was in Galena, IL, for several days and the lady of the B&B we
stayed at told us not to miss the Hosta gardens in Dubuque, IA..  So we jumped
in the car and headed for Dubuque.  I believe the name of the garden is the
Dubuque Botannical Gardens or Dubuque Arboretum and Botannical Garden.  They
say they have over one thousand varieties of hosta and something like 10,000
plants.  It is a beautiful garden setting with lots of big trees and shade and
many, many hostas.

2).  The other garden is about 17 miles East of Dubuque just outside
Elizabeth, IL.  It is called the Timber Ridge Gardens..  It is a nursey and as
such sell Hostas (Over 400 variaties), Grasses (50 variaties) along with other
perennials, peonies and ornamentals.   But the real enjoyment begins when you
take the tour through the wooded hosta garden.  Meander the garden paths, wind
your way up the steps and along the garden walls past over 500 variaties of
hostas - and finally, enjoy the 20 mile view from the pergola.  You will also
enjoy meeting Ted, the owner.  A fun guy to talk to..  And.....they can sell
you all of the plants you see along the garden walk - (well, copies of them-
they don't dig up the plants in the garden.)

While in the area, don't miss Galena and all its Victorian splendor...

Ronnie