Re: Seedlings & heat

In a message dated 3/19/99 7:56:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, lako731@usit.net
writes:

<< November, January and March, only a few have died, most are growing
 great but very slow. Only a few seem to be vigorous growers. I have
 been growing them under lights 22 hours/day, the llights are
 approximately 5-6" over the plants.   >>

HI MIKE:

Mine were planted around thanksgiving.....they range in size from 8 to 10
inches and one going to flower....to still miniature.....

first and foremost...the lights should be 2 to 3 inches away, unless you will
be away for a period of time......second i have 4 lights per shelf...you dont
mention how many you have.....i use 16 hours on, 8 hours off, with one on/off
period in the middle of the 8 hours off....

i use 1/4 teaspoon of 15-30-15 per gal of water....if a tblspn is full
strength i am using 1/9 strength...I DONT THINK YOU NEED MORE FERT....as barb
suggested maybe you are using to much....

NOW....MY PERSONAL OPINION TO THE PROBLEM....with the little amount of info
you gave.....the answer is:  HEAT!!!!

with 16 lights burning in here, and with a bank of south facing windows, the
family room is running at about 76 degrees....seedlings love warm feet [as
does my wife...lol].....

what is the temp you are growing them at.....how much light are you
providing.....

give us some more info, and maybe we can give some more answers....

ken....