Spring

Today I encountered my first snake of the season.  He was a lively creature
and eager to move out of the way.  Having spent most of the day on my knees
applying fertilizer and removing weeds, it was easy to just remain down and
let him go his way.
The heavy rains over the winter season washed some places in the garden so
much that I am having to add up to 4 to 5 inches of soil.

Today I also checked on two large divisions of all gold montana
Aureomarginata.  Has anyone given this a name?  Can anyone tell me if it will
grow?  These two have been removed from the mother plant for 2 years.  This
year they seem to be much larger.  I still have them in a container since I
wondered about their survival in the garden.

Today I also discovered my first flower scape and I don't mean in seedlings.
The winter has been so warm and the plants up so early that we may have some
early crosses this year.  Of course this is contrasted to some of the montanas
that will not be up for another few weeks.

Many of the seedlings are now ready for gallon containers.  Two days ago I
removed an almost black flower scape from one.  Its two parents only have
green scapes.  Those genes have been sleeping for sometime.

An observation for thought, certain plants tend be much more susceptible to
aphids than others.  For example the seedlings from yingeri seem to acquire at
least four for every one on some other varieties.  Does anyone have thoughts
to share on this?
Mary