Re: aphids

At 09:25 PM 3/21/99 EST, you wrote:
>I have just learned of a product named Marathon.  It is a systemic for
>insects.  Available in granular or wp made by Olympic.  One application
should
>take care of not only the aphids but whiteflies and other sucking insects for
>up to 12 weeks.  Has anyone used this chemical?  If so how toxic is it?
Would
>it be considered safe to use for those growing seedlings in the house or
>basement?

I've used Marathon for the past two years to control aphids on tropical
hibiscus in my winter greenhouse. Excellent product for that, nary an ant
nor aphid to be seen. But there is a downside to it..Spider mites are not
affected by Marathon, and with ants and aphids gone, their populations
explode! So I battle spider mites now instead of aphids.

Safety issues: As with most chemicals, using them per directions involves
minimal risk to the user. But anyone with pets and children should take
special care. Marathon is a systemic, applied to the soil surface in
granular form (yes, I recommend the granular over the wp for safety
reasons) and the watered in carefully (so that water does not run out the
bottom). I would think if you were careful in subsequent waterings to
collect and dispose of runoff, it would be safe to use in the basement.

Another note: make sure your plants are actively growing so you get maximum
uptake of the chemical.

And finally, it is REALLY expensive! Five pounds for $99.00 here. But it
does last a long time, since you don't apply much at any one time and it is
effective for several months.

Gerry