Re: Hosta Wheel

Ray W wrote:

> Question concerning "Hosta Wheel" as I have not seen it as of yet. Are
> all Hosta on one chart or is there a variety of charts? I am starting to
> get the idea of how it works from the recent posts on the pixlist.
> Before such postings I was under the inpression all sports were on one
> sheet.
>
> Ray Wiegand z5
> Mentor, Ohio
>
> -------------
Dear Ray W

At last count there were 175 wheels. These are contained in the Document
Hosta Wheels 1999. Each group of sports (each wheel) has one common
parent from which all sports in the wheel have come, either directly or
indirectly. They are all clones within each wheel.

The color wheel is a chart with 24 colors to help determine the most
accurate color(s) which represent(s) the specific clone (sport) being
studied to determine its most accurate description in several
characterisitcs, not just color however. This data will be transposed
into other formats for varying uses, such as lists with data (data base)
in the form of code numbers. Such information on color in hosta leaves
may be helpful in solving the problems of synonymy within groups of
sports.

If you do not receive the color wheel soon, I could send you,  via snail
mail, a very accurate color printout from my printer. I could do the
same for you also, Mary Chastain, if the green colors from your printer
in segments 1 and 2 are too dark.Please advise. The Committee is aware
that colors may be variable due to differences in printers. That is why
we plan to have some standard color wheels printed and laminated,
offered for sale at cost to those interested. We hope that there will be
interest this summer in compiling data, specifically on color of sports
to add to the Wheels Document. We must rely on those who possess the
rare sports to provide the color data. All help in gathering such data
will be appreciated.

Thanks to those who are responding to help us make the color wheel more
useful. Remember, it is only a tool to help us get data useful to all
hosta aficianados.(Pro's too!).

Jim Hawes
Jim Hawes