Re: Opinion?

junk@aztec-net.com wrote:
> At 11:58 AM 21/03/1999 -0500, you wrote:
> >I was thinking of ordering these 4 for this spring. Any pros/cons I
> >should know about? Thanks.
> >
> >H. 'Devon Green'
> >H. 'Shining Tot'
> >H. 'Tortifrons'
> >H. 'Heaven Scent'
> >
> Mike
> 'Heaven Scent', I haven't been able to find anyone that can grow this well
> in a northern area or for that matter anyone that can grow it period.
> Belongs on the compost pile along with 'White Shoulders'. Just my opinion.
> Try 'Ming Treasure', same basic form but seems to perform much better.
> Happy Gardening
> John Kee
John and all:
Almost every time I hear an opnion from John , I find it to reflect my
experience.  This time however, I must say that I am finding some
differences.  I recived a relitivly small 'Heaven Scent' this year in
early summer.  I put this plant in a pot in very good soil and placed it
in a sunny location.  I kept it WET !  About four weeks later, (Late
June)  I set in a well drained ( but moist) part of my fields, that has
7-8 hours of sun a day.  The plant REALLY GREW !  I had to use a chain
saw to keep it in hand-- OK ,OK ,I may have streached it a little with
the chain saw part--it was a hand saw!
Ran (smiling)