Re: Wide world of sports.

In a message dated 3/23/99 4:55:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, ranbl@netsync.net

I've got a question about hosta sports. Say for instance, two people
> have the same variety of hosta and both of their hostas sported a new
> variety with a gold center and a green margin (hypothetically). If each
> of the sports are from the same variety and each sport is seemingly
> identical, but in two different parts of the country, are these sports
> considered to be the same? Or can each of these two people name it
> differently? It seens to me there are several sports in the sieboldiana
> 'Elegans' lineage (among many others) that appear identical but have
> different names. Aren't there any factors that determine, "Oh, close
> enough." ?????

mike......i have to point out something in the second sentence/assumption of
HOSTA.....to start with????

further in your hypo you call attention to sieboldiana ELEGANS
sports.....there are many versions of elegans out there under the name
ELEGANS.  Geo. Schmid says, in part, on page 96: "....many different forms are
now labeled H. sieboldiana Elegans...."...etc, blah, blah, blah....so my
elegans and your elegans, may not be the same...so look-alike sports from
them, may or may not be the same.....

so , i go along with the registrar...until proven, i say name them all

now...if your question was more along the lines of "should i name and register
a new sport in my yard.....well, my opinion, for what it is worth....grow it
for 5 to 7 years, compare it will all like plants [refer to the wheels]...then
you make a decision.....

simply finding, naming & registering a sport, does not make it garden worthy,
or good.

ps:  it is not the registrars job to make any such determination on the plant
beyond checking the name, applying the name/nomenclature rules, and recording
it.....in theory, he should not care if there are 4000 white centered sports
of elegans....on the other hand, being the caring, loving soul he is...i am
sure david cares about all hosta....lol

pps:  when they first started selling patriot....some of them could have been
minuteman....so if your patriot sports....are you sure it is a sport of
patriot....or is it a sport on minuteman.....