Re: Presumptions about your mother

Ken,

It is my understanding that the herbicide +ACI-Surflan+ACI- was  applied to
Francee in an attempt to get Francee to mutate. Patriot was the result.

After Patriot was in the lab a tissue culture aberration showed up and
it was named Minuteman. Some people may have Minuteman that showed up in
Patriot and was not culled out. I assume that Minuteman is now being
tissue cultured itself and this is the source of most Minuteman on the
market.

Great Expectations had a tissue culture aberration that was named
Dreamweaver. Some people who bought Great Expectations got Dreamweaver
instead. Dreamweaver is supposed to have more vigor than Great
Expectations.

seiboldiana Elegans has been around for a hundred years or so. There are
several different forms. Some of these forms are seedlings from
seiboldiana Elegans. Any sports that arise from different seedlings are
not alike. They may be very similar, but they are not the same.

Tissue culture aberrations(chimera rearrangements) of the same clone
that arise in different locations, but look alike,  have a high
probability of being the same.  There are mutations that arise in tissue
culture, but I understand they are rare. A mutation arising in tissue
culture may have a different leaf shape, size, vigor or color that the
plant from which it came.

Corrections and additions are welcome.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7
SussexTreeInc+AEA-ce.net

P.S. Ben, what's the deal about waiting for the next Journal? We have
many people on hosta-open that are not members of the AHS. They have
inquiring minds too+ACE-