catch up time

Boy, go away for a few days and you guys come up with some exciting stuff.
First, I'm really excited about the new developments with the hosta wheels,
can't wait to see them up on a web page.
As far as Clyde's question about species, I only started collecting a few of
them so far but I'd have to say my favorite is pycnophylla, I'd think it
probably has a lot of breeding potential that hasn't been tapped yet.
Okay, now best garden award.  I've read thru most of the arguments and they
do make sense, but with a very definite set of criteria in place I don't see
why  couldn't be reinstated.  It's true that some people have more money to
spend on their landscaping, but to be honest being from a middle-class blue
collar family I find myself more
impressed by what some people can do in a small yard on more normal incomes.
When I see those million dollar homes with flawless
landscaping It just shows what money can buy, not necessarily any
real talent by the owner.
In general however I find the AHS awards no better than a joke. One
particular specimen of a plant may look good in one, yard on one day,
and it wins an award.  The thing may be a notoriously poor grower, with
terrible habits everywhere else but that doesn't matter, it looked good the
day or two of the convention.  What is needed is a true garden award system
to give credit to the plants that do well in many
areas, under many conditions and over a long period of time.  The judges
handbook does have a section on garden judging but I've never heard anything
about it elsewhere.  I was also disappointed to see that the convention
awards were changed to color classes only.
Being a fan of smaller hostas I find them grossly under represented.
Last year it seemed all the plants nominated for the award for small or
medium hosta were on the large end of the medium size range.
Granted the large hostas do have quite a visual impact in the garden
but there are many very worthwhile small and miniature hostas in the various
color classes that are never considered.  I mean for a good
blue hosta I'd put Blue Ice up against Blue Angel anytime, bigger doesn't
have to mean better.
Joanne
jopyz@earthlink.net