Re: Making hosta tetraploids with Surflan (or colchicine, or any other cytosk...

Good morning, Frances:

I poorly responded to the postings.  To clarify: the drug, colchicine, is a
medication used as gout suppressant or antigout.  It ids sold in a tablet or
capsule form.

When we discuss it's use in the conversion of diploid to tetraploid, we who
can purchased as a chemical can solubulize it with DMSO.  DMSO,
dimethylsulfoxide, is a chemical which MUST be handled very cautiously
especially when colchicine is involved.  The DMSO will "pull" itself and
anything dissolved in it rapidly through the skin.  Years ago, we used to use
DMSO in early medicinal chemical mice trials to see skin absorption and blood
levels of the medicinal entity.  DMSO was also used in medicinal discovery
chemistry reactions along with MIBK etc.

I hope that I have given you a clearer understanding of what the DMSO and
colchicine uses are.  Should you have any further questions, please free to
post.

Hostally,

Rich Horowitz
Stoughton MA