Re: sports

My dear hosta fan :-(Ben J.M.Zonneveld) ..I'm sure! ..every hosta enthusiast here? ..is greatly indebted to you for inventing the word/explanation "hosta-sport"  -->> eh old sport?
-1->> Could you tell us more Ben, about your discoveries of sports?
-2->> Where did you first learn about them?
-3->>  Are sports and bud sports the same thing?
     (a) When were they first discovered in nature?
     (b) On what plants?

Bill Nash -- in response to ---
At 09:20 AM 3/29/99 +0000, Zonneveld@RULbim.LeidenUniv.NL wrote:
>Dear Hosta Fans
>Everybody can check in the hosta journal that I was the
>first to explain in detail to the hosta community what a sport is . I
>am happy to see that others have learned from it and are at least in
>part able to reproduce it, although without any reference.
>To answer the  specific question about the difference between a
>sport and a mutation::
>First the definition:
>A sport is a shoot deviating from the mother plant.
> A sport CAN be due to a mutation but rarely is. It is mostly due to
>a mitotic recombination or chimeral rearrangements . It is for sure a
>sport due to a mutation if a green/blue plant changes to a variegated
>one. See my Rule of thumb for sports in the hosta journal and in my
>book on sport of  hosta, where instead of a number the plants have a
>shorthand for color like we = white edge.
>Ben J.M.Zonneveld

ps..to BJMZ...can you tell me what Book Store:
-- to purchase copy of your book?
-- what is Book Title?
-- who is the publisher?

thanks in advance