Re: squrriels

Clyde, gray squirrels (I think) are the ones in z7, mid Atlantic.  The damage
they do is not in digging to get to the hostas but in digging to retrieve nuts
that just happen to fall perfectly into the crown area of dormant hostas!!
They uproot the hostas, then the voles and mice take over.  They are fun to
watch and I do put out corn cobs tied to trees for them to keep them busy.  I
saw a squirrel box in an ag store the other day that had a hinge on the
top...filled with corn or peanuts, the squirrels must open the box to get the
goodies.  Susan