Re: squrriels

In a message dated 3/31/1999 6:05:19 PM Central Standard Time, CCREDUX@aol.com
writes:

<< Hi All!
 I have been following the discussion re squirrels and am somewhat surprised
 that they play havoc with Hostas. We have a lot of them and I have not
 detected any damage caused by them. Could it perhaps be that rabbits are the
 problem?
 At any rate, one way to pacify squirrels is to set out some dried corn. This
 is an inexpensive way to keep them out of your Hosta beds. Also, no matter
 what you do, they will return.

Squirrels have an inbuilt urge to dig in soft fresh dirt, so were ever there
is loss black dirt they will big.  So if you keep your Hosta bed with nice
soft soils the squirrels will have fun.  For me the fall is the worst since I
do most of my planting in late summer and fall they love to dig the plants up
to see what's under them.
I think these dishonest creatures are trying to raid some others squirrels
stash of nuts!

Paul