Re: H. Elegans

Hey Vicky. Let me guess... the color is terrible, the veins are much closer
together, there is a rough texture to the leaves, and the vigor of the plant
is significantly reduced or gone. Am I right? I have about 100+ 'Gold Drop,'
4 or 5 s. 'Elegans,' and a couple 'Richland Gold' doing the same thing. I
have seen it at 4 other nurseries this year alone. It seems to be most
apparent on hostas with thicker leaves, especially the sieboldianas, but not
exclusively to those varieties. I've seen it on plants in the ground as well
as in pots. It doesn't seem to matter. A lot of mine that are showing signs
also had it last year. I hope it isn't something that spreads like a virus
or fungus. If you dig up the clump, look at the size of the shoots where
thay attatch to the main crown. It is tiny compared to the diameter of the
shoot. I bet you too can just snap them off with no trouble as I did. It
rather worries me. NOBODY that I have talked to about it knows what it is.
Maybe someone can figure it out.

Mike Groothuis