(fwd) Re: Gardening alert for animals
On Sunday morning I was gardening in my front yard. My TTs were there
on tie-out cables. I wasn't using fertilizer, but was watering &
planting some plants which had come from the nursery with white
granules etc sprinkled on top. My doggers drank from these pots.
Couldn't have been more than a few tesaspoons worth. I didn't think
anything about it at the time -- now, after the scare of my life (&
I'm so careful & use only organic materials. You just never know.
Fortunately & thank god & allah & whomever, my severely ill one has
his tail up today & has even wagged it a few times! Thanks also to
the wonderful treatment from our vet!!!!!
To skip back, gardening was on Sunday. Monday at about 1:30 am, my
older dog started vomiting; just bile. About 10 am he had a severely
bloody whatever, instead of a stool! This whole time he was
salivating/drooling terribly. We raced off to the vet who first
tested for parvo. Negative. Then we came into the clinic. Sammy's
symptoms showed no signs of an infection. His heartrate was slower;
consistent with poisoning. We'll never know what really happened, but
the vet treated him for the fert. poisoning & Sammy is his old self!
What a horrible day Monday was! Tuesday, Magic started vomiting over
& over. Off to the vets. No other symptoms, but she was treated as
Sammy had been, tho not quite as aggressively.
One of Sammy's pancreatic enzymes is slightly elevated; somehow
connected. Will have blood retested at end of week.
In short, this is such an acute danger that I am posting it to all my
dog & my gardening lists! Please please be 1000% careful! (100% just
won't do it!)
( Sorry for the format of the original.)
> Permission to Cross Post:
> I accidentally poisoned our Dane (Samantha) and want
> to pass on the details
> so others would not make the same mistake.
> On Tuesday I sprinkled bone meal and Ortho
> "RosePride Systemic Rose &
> Flower Care" around the cedar mulch surrounding the
> roses in our rose
> garden. Later the area around each rose was hosed
> down to wash the products
> into the mulch.
> On Wednesday, "Sam" took an afternoon stroll and
> caught the scent of the
> bone meal. Drawn to the scent she proceeded to lick
> the bone meal residue
> and also the Ortho product. Within 30 to 60 minutes
> she had developed
> diarrhea, muscle tremors, was very unsteady on her
> feet, and was drooling
> saliva from her mouth (she does not drool normally).
> I immediately called our vet (Bill Womack) who
> luckily got us in right
> away. The symptoms were worse and she was foaming
> severely from the mouth
> with continual "dry heaves". He said something must
> be done immediately or
> she would be dead within a few minutes as she was
> getting ready to go into
> seizures. Bill made an "educated decision" (there
> was no time to do lab
> tests) based on her severe symptoms and diagnosed
> her as having
> organophosphate poisoning (to check a product look
> under the "Physician
> Warning" portion of the label). He administered
> Atropine IV and IM. Then
> put her on an IV drip. We watched her and prayed a
> lot through the next two
> days as Bill continued the Atropine and IV's. Friday
> she got her appetite
> back and that night the IV was removed and she was
> allowed to come home.
> She is not out of the woods yet, but each day she
> gets a little more of her
> strength back (she lost 15 to 20 pounds in a couple
> hours). However we still don't know if she sustained any liver
> or kidney damage.
> Once I realized what the cause of the poisoning was
> I returned to the rose
> bed and worked the bone meal and fertilizer into the
> mulch turning over the
> entire surface and washing everything down
> I suggest anyone with a dog not use bone meal in
> conjunction with fertil
> izer, but space their application so each has
> adequate time to dissolve
> before applying the other. Also work all products
> into the soil when
> working around pets so as not to tempt them to eat
> something not designed
> for their systems. I know this may sound simplistic,
> but knowing the
> attraction dogs have to bone meal I made the mistake
> and almost lost a loved member of my family.
> I would appreciate you broadcasting this so more pet
> owners are made aware of this potentially dangerous problem.
To sign-off this list, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the
message text UNSUBSCRIBE HOSTA-OPEN