Subject: Re: H. Elegans / stunted look
Author:  hosta-open@mallorn.com (owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com) at HERCULES
Date:    05/18/2000 8:56 AM

>Mike, I have seen plants that look as you described.  It was the
result of
>using Roundup too late in the spring.  It sometimes takes two years
for the
>plant to recover.

But I have seen it too, and I have never used Roundup in the garden!
have also seen it in plants that have no tree root competition, and
adequate water.  Could it be crown damage or a unique form of crown rot?

I had some seib. elegans that did this a couple of years ago, and now
are recovered but are small, "one gallon" three year old plants.  I
dubbed it "the uglies" although I think that is a term usually
reserved for
another problem.

I have an 'Aristocrat' this year that looks suspiciously similar.
stunted and has those weird leaves. Ugh!

Stacy Holtzman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Bloomington, Indiana Z5b