Re: trough forms

troughs are amazing in their variety.  the "easiest" ones to start with use
boxes or bowels or even trash cans for the shape.  a double box may be used
for "regular" formal shapes.
the finest we've done so far was last summer, at Cindy Johnson's house, using
her girls sand box.  after scraping a sort of seashell shape in the packed
sand, we stuffed the hypertufa mix into the sand shape.  we used kind of a
dryer mix, like cookie dough.  we pushed and squished it on in, and left the
sides irregular and free form,  punching holes in the bottom, while it was
still wet.  she excavated it about 2 weeks later, and it looks fabulous.  the
sand gave it an additional texture.  next time we will put sand on the inside
too, to have the whole inside lip be textured.
this is a nice two person project.
a couple warnings.
dust- from the peat moss, from the perlite, and from the concrete.  all yucky
as well as dangerous.
wear eye protection too.

have fun, and e us for more info.

harry

Cindy Johnson  &  Harry Abel
we do not create the beauty, we only point out the beauty God has created

hand carved stone water basins            traditional bamboo water garden
accessories
         japanese maples                         hosta bonsai
 http://www.shinkigen.com
cidjohnson@aol.com             shishi@aol.com