Korean trip

Two weeks ago I had a business trip that took me the length of South Korea.
Of course scouted the local landscape as best I could for those nefarious
plants known as hosta.

In Taejon, in central S. Korea, saw several large city park plantings of
plantaginea and what looked like 'SeeSaw'.

     Several huge beds, 100'by 30', planted close.

     Then on to Kimcheon, where climbed some mountains to a Buddha temple
     ( had no choice , was Buddha's birthday and the thing to do!!)

     Saw many green seedlings used as ground cover, some huge areas of
     clausa. They obviously have been there a long time since they had
     spread underground.

     South to Chinju and more of the same.

     Back to Seoul - checked into several nurseries and parks - more of the
     same, plantaginea and und. albo marginata. One large landscaping of
     what looked like 'Francee' though could have been mature und. albo
     marg.

     Finally to the Korean Folk Festival, similar to Greenfield Village in
     Dearborn, Michigan. More of the clausa and all green forms, not
     hyacynthina but probably fortunei type.

     While I did not hook up with any Korean gardeners, did see plenty of
     hosta in natural hilly habitat. Alas, all green forms. No blues, no
     golds, no variegation.

     bruce